Strong US Jewelry Sales and Other Silver News
Silver jewelry sales in the United States were solid in 2015 with 60% of jewelry retailers reporting increased sales, according to a survey conducted on behalf of the Silver Institute’s Silver Promotion Service (SPS). This marked the seventh consecutive year of growth for silver jewelry sales and confirmed that silver jewelry is an increasingly important category for many retailers”
The average growth in jewelry sales for 2015 was 15%.
The April issue of Silver News also features some fascinating technological developments relating to silver.
- Advances in silver nanotechnology are lowering the cost and expanding the lifespan of water filtration systems. This is opening the door for large-scale water purification projects that promise to increase supplies of fresh water in low-income countries.
- The worldwide nanosilver market is expected to hit $2.4 billion by 2023. This represents a compound annual growth rate of 14.8%. Nanosilver has a wide range of applications, including food packaging, textile manufacturing, filtration, purification and neutralization processes in the water treatment industry, personal care products, detergents, and optics.
- A Beijing-based company recently unveiled a miniature 3D metal printer designed to produce gold and silver jewelry. Because of its precision abilities, it may also find applications in aerospace, research tools, and medical equipment.
- Scientists say silver iodide cloud seeding in Los Angeles during a recent storm produced 15% more rain.
- Chinese scientists have developed an ‘invisible’ electrical circuit inside a polymer used in producing contact lenses. The circuit is invisible to the naked eye because it is formed by silver wires measuring just one micrometer wide — narrower than the diameter of a typical bacterial cell. This could lead to wearbles that measure glucose levels in diabetics.
Finally, there is s fascinating article about an artist who took images of a silver particles from 140-year-old photos, enlarged them, and turned them into sculptures.
Get Peter Schiff’s latest gold market analysis – click here for a free subscription to his exclusive monthly Gold Videocast.
Interested in learning more about physical gold and silver?
Call 1-888-GOLD-160 and speak with a Precious Metals Specialist today!