Investors Getting Bullish on Silver and Other Silver News
The price of silver was up better than 15% in 2019. This has led to a major improvement in investor sentiment toward the white metal, according to a report highlighted in the latest issue of the Silver Institute’s Silver News.
According to the report, silver got a boost from a host of factors, including economic and geopolitical concerns that drove safe-haven investment in precious metals.
There were healthy gains in physical silver investment in 2019, with bar and coin sales expected to chart a three-year high. Global silver mine output is expected to show a 0.7% decrease. For the second year in a row, silver industrial fabrication was expected to hold at a record high. Global silver jewelry and silverware demand were projected to grow by 3% and 4% respectively in 2019.
The latest edition of Silver News also highlights some fascinating technological developments utilizing the white metal and other interesting news related to silver.
- 2019 was one of the best years for solar installations in the European Union (EU), according to the first EU Market Outlook published by SolarPower Europe. Silver plays a key role in solar panel fabrication. Metals Focus, the global precious metals research firm, forecast that 96 million ounces (Moz) of silver would be consumed globally in PV in 2019, a 2 Moz increase over 2018.
- Silver ions help make organic light-emitting diodes less toxic and more stable. Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) displays are brighter, have higher contrast and use less power than conventional plasma and LCDs.
- Silver is a crucial part of flexible electronics from printed-on antennas to body wearables to phones that fold, but one vital component has eluded engineers until now: batteries that bend, stretch and twist along with the gear they power. Here again, silver’s malleability and its high electrical conductivity are playing a role as researchers at ETH Zurich, Switzerland, have developed a flexible, thinfilm battery that can be bent, stretched and even twisted without interrupting the supply of electricity.
- Nanosilver produced from blue-green algae offers promise in colon cancer therapy.
- 3D Lab in Warsaw, Poland, has developed technology that improves the process of turning silver into powder for 3D printing applications.